Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Magic Hat

Sounds a little like a children's book doesn't it?

Did you ever have a piece of clothing or accessory that could make you feel better about yourself just by putting it on? 

There's nothing fantastic about this hat, from all appearances it looks like any other, but on those days when I need that extra bit of confidence it can make me feel truly awesome. Perhaps it's because it covers what I consider to be my worst feature: a forehead large enough to sell ad space on. Seriously, I didn't even know it was a problem until I started seeing pictures of it.....and man does it take up some photo real-estate!

Anyway, back to the hat. Not only does it cover and conceal, it's also kind of lucky. Everytime I wear it out to a coffee date with someone, things usually go pretty well. In fact, it was kind of the catalyst for the first kiss with my current boyfriend.....although some may not consider that a great selling point. It is my version of the oversized sunglasses, my own personal shield that I can hide behind and view the world from a defensive position. 

And I think it may be time to retire the magic hat. Not only because I'm not sure it's quite the fashion statement that I think it is, but because sometimes you have to let go of the security blanket. It's a great defense, but you can't live your life from the trenches. 

Sometimes you have to put down your weapons and cross the battlefield. 

And who knows? Maybe you'll come out intact....big huge freaking forehead and all.

Man, what a target.



No comments:

Post a Comment